[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 1200S

Get A. Long g3t4l0ng at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 09:03:18 UTC 2006

Wolfram,

Thanks for your reply!

>From: "Wolfram Heider" <wolframheider at web.de>
>the driver for the Umax 1200 S (the 'S' stands for SCSI) should already be
>on your hd in a SuSE 10.1 Installation. You may check it with Yast -
>Hardware - Scanner.

Yes, it is there, as "UMAX Astra 1200S : Driver umax (package sane) provides
good functionality. [OK]"

But, when I plug it in into my pc's parallel port (I never received a
special pci card) it just doesn't find it. Yes, I had made sure that scanner
support was available when I installed the system two days ago. The message
I get is "umax - No scanner recognized by this driver"

>If you don't get the list of drivers, you will have to  postinstall the
>SANE-package.
>A more serious point is the scsi-controller (PCI-card). This one shipped
>together with the scanner by Umax  probably won't work. You will need a
>decent one from an independent manufacturer (AdvanSys, Dawicontrol or so -
>not very cheap,. so googling around for an used one may spare some money).
>The controller needs a seperate driver normally loaded by the kernel at
>boot time.

So, maybe I didn't enable scsi (cannot remember, as I didn't know then the
scanner was a scsi part). I'll try it. But also, will I _need_ a special
pci-card for scsi hardware? Would the scsi plug in card have a parallel port
interface too?

>As for Windows: XP supports the 1200 S directly with an own driver - try a
>postinstallation with the hardware/device-manager. For the original
>Vistascan-driver go to http://www.umax.com/support. It's not downloadable,
>only available on CD-ROM.

I had Windows 2000 on the other machine.

Again, thanks for your kind help!