[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 1200S

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Fri May 26 13:34:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Get A. Long wrote:

>> David,
>> obviously you have done the miracle to get a scsi-connector fit into a
>> parallelport ( till now I thought this would be impossible)
>
> I didn't believe in miracles either... :)
>
>> And as far as  I know there is no parallelport-version of the Astra 1200
>> (at later  modells there was). Are you really sure that it was the
>> parallelport you  plugged in the scanner-cable?
>
> No idea... The single cable that came along looks like this:
> http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/parallel-port-ch.jpg
> and there was only one place in the computer where it would
> fit. I didn't have to use force, so I guessed it was correct. I never
> had a strong opinion on what the name of that cable is... :D

what you have is the 25 pin scsi cable, usually used on old macs. just
because it looks like a parallel port does not mean that it is one. i bet
the scanner end of the cable looks different?

it will not work. you MUST get a scsi card. if you are in the US, send me
private email. i will send you a 25 pin adaptec pci scsi card for free. i
have a case of them collecting dust. works great with linux.

allan