[sane-devel] Parallel Port as SCSI

Get A. Long g3t4l0ng at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 13:31:19 UTC 2006

Hi again,

Looking at the pictures at howstuffworks.com it is seems I do have a
parallel cable, and two parallel ports (both DB-25, 'females') in the
scanner. Funnily, on my scanner both these ports
(http://computer.howstuffworks.com/parallel-port1.htm) are labelled "SCSI"
with large (8 mm) letters.

The SCSI cable is illustrated at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/scsi1.htm
but does not look like anything I have and would not fit anywhere in the
scanner, or the computer. So, I understand your surprise! :)

>From http://computer.howstuffworks.com/parallel-port.htm :

>Parallel ports can be used to connect a host of popular computer
>peripherals:
>
>    * Printers
>    * Scanners
>   * CD burners
>    * External hard drives
>    * Iomega Zip removable drives
>    * Network adapters
>    * Tape backup drives

Apparently, parallel ports are used for scanners, and the UMAX Astra 1200S
has it, despite labelled as SCSI. I guess then there is some software
emulation or something like that somewhere, or did I misunderstand it?

Thanks for any help on how to proceed before I buy that card!

David