[sane-devel] Parallel Port as SCSI

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Sat May 27 13:54:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006, Get A. Long wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you all for your helpful comments!
>
> I went out and bought a PCI-SCSI card (Adaptec AHA-2904) + a noname optical
> mouse + a set of El Cheapo SoundBlaster speakers + an Animatrix DVD . All for
> 16$. So, I feel it was worth the 400 yd walk. :)
>
> The system recognizes the Adaptec card, but still no luck with the scanner...
> :(
>
> Any tricks up the sleeve?

1. rmmod aic7xxx

2. plug in and turn on the scanner. make sure it has a terminator on the
second plug (if it has a second plug)

3. modprobe aic7xxx

4. cat /proc/scsi/scsi and look for scanner

if you dont see the scanner listed in that file, then dont even bother
with sane, you still have some sort of other error to fix first, bad
cable, bad card, etc. dmesg output might help.

be aware that some scsi cards have internal and external ports, but only
one of them can be used at a time. check the card for a jumper or check
the cards bios (if it has one) for an option that controls this.

if the card only has an external port, it should work, check cables and
termination.

allan