[sane-devel] Epson 4490

roger at eskimo.com roger at eskimo.com
Tue May 30 13:32:27 UTC 2006

Hey all.  I bought an Epson 4490 but am having some problems.  Some
being Infrared, 16 bit color and 4800dpi support with Sane.

The other, I'm having some h/w issues and Vuescan.  Vuescan uses a motor
speed with Pass #2 causing clicks during scan element initializing and
vibration with the particular speed used for Pass #2 -- probably not a
good thing when scanning at 4800 dpi and making 1+ passes!

The windows software, although uses quieter motor speeds, quality is
lacking and the Epson Windows software seems to really kill the color on
the scanned images (not using ICC profiles).

Another minus, both Windows and Sane seems to lack RAW image support
except for Vuescan?

Anybody have any suggestions for scanning 35mm negatives?   I really
need something that supports Infrared or Digital ICE from what I see
from allot of my scans.

(Epkowa seems broke in my latest sane compiles, but am curious if epkowa
has plans for infrared, etc., Who and where to help out with Epkowa Sane
Backend?)