[sane-devel] Help on genesys backend code (LiDE 80)

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Tue May 30 13:32:08 UTC 2006

>  Did you recompile and reinstall modified version of SANE?? Also did
> you add flag GENESYS_FLAG_UNTESTED in Genesys_Model structure??

Hi,

yes, I did of course recompile and install the stuff. I didn't add the
UNTESTED flag, though, because it wasn't there in the LiDE 60 structure.
Is that required?

>> In /proc/bus/usb/devices, however, the scanner is listed as follows
>>
>> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
>> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
>> P:  Vendor=04a9 ProdID=2214 Rev= 3.02
>> S:  Manufacturer=Canon
>> S:  Product=CanoScan
>> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
>> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
>> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
>> E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
>> E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=8ms
>>
>> I'm no usb wizard, but "Driver=(none)" doesn't seem good. Could that be
>> a problem?
>>
>> Did I miss something very basic? Thanks for any hints!
>  you may need to add your model specific code. Check genesys_gl841.c

Yes, I'll look into that next.

>     In genesys_devices.c file you will find other structures also
> like motor,sensor specific information of your model need to be filled
> there. For that you need to download usbsnoppy from
> http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/doc.php.en
> and use that on Windows and capture some log. For that you can search
> archives of this mailing list about how to capture USB packets on
> windows and then apply awk scripts to generate decoded log and use
> that to fill those structures. Attaching those scripts that need to be
> used on linux with use of usb packets captured windows log file.
> Regards,
> Parag.

Thanks so much for your reply. As I wrote in my last post of this
thread, scanimage -L started to identify the scanner once I added the
/dev/scanner link. But that does not work reliably. When I launched a
frontend (xsane), it says that it fails to open the device because of an
invalid argument. Ok, that may very well be. But also the usb id of the
scanner gets reassigned every time I would do that. Looks like the
access attempt causes a device disconnect, can that be?
And sometimes scanimage -L reports the scanner to be found (like, uhm,
just now) although the /dev/scanner link is not set, sometimes it fails
for no apparent reason. Hm.

Regards,    Nick.