[sane-devel] Epson Stylus CX3700 all in one

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Tue May 30 19:22:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

> I have searched the archives, but found nothing definitive; read
> all the docs and other stuff on sane-project.org/ and
> snapscan.sourceforge.net/ websites.
>
> I know that the scanner part of the CX3700 works
> [http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=epson&model=cx3
>700&bus=usb&v=&p=]

It seems the CX-3700 is currently supported by both the epkowa backend
and the epson backend. It's definitely not supported by the snapscan
backend, so anything mentioned on snapscan.sourceforge.net doesn't
apply.

> but I am somewhat lost as to where I need to put the relevant
> output of 'sane-find-scanner':
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0818) at libusb:001:002
>
> and do I need to copy the firmware from the Epson cd ?
>
> The docs are a bit old and a little bit confusing as they are
> mainly still talking about 'scanner module' rather than 'libusb'.
>
> I promise to write a 'howto' when I get it all working :-)

I'm not an expert on the epson backend, but it should be able to
recognize your scanner if you just put the IDs into epson.conf, e.g.

usb 0x04b8 0x0818

After that your sanner should be recognized by scanimage -L.

The epkowa backend is not part of the SANE distribution, you have to
install it separately. You can get it from
http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html . It also provides
it's own documentation.

/Oliver