[sane-devel] Fujitsu 5120C

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Tue May 30 21:58:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 30 May 2006, Jim McQuillan wrote:

> I'm trying to get a Fujitsu 5120C working with SANE.
>
> I've tried version 1.0.17 of the backends, and i've also tried a fresh
> checkout from cvs today (5/30/2006).

use the cvs checkout.

> The scanner is detected just fine under both versions of the backends.
>
> I'm using a SCSI interface.
>
> When I try to scan with the scanimage command, I get:
>
>   scanimage: sane_read: Invalid argument
>
> I turned on debugging with SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=128
> and I see in the logfile:
>

> [fujitsu] sane_get_parameters: finish
> [fujitsu] sane_read: start
> [fujitsu] read_from_scanner: start
> [fujitsu] read_from_scanner: ERROR side:0 want:4203144 room:528/65536 doing:0
> done:7656
> [fujitsu] sane_read: finish
> [fujitsu] sane_close: start
> [fujitsu] do_cancel: start

hmm- the issue is that 'room:528' part. what front-end are you using, and
why does it give us such a tiny buffer? we cannot request such a small
piece from the scanner, we have to request whole scanlines. your scanning
params must be such that a single line is larger than that?

if you read the code, you will see this, right above that error message:

/* this should never happen */

which tells you something: expect the unexpected :)

> So, is the fujitsu driver at a point, where I should expect the 5120C to
> work?
> I'm just trying to figure out if i'm looking at a driver problem, or a
> configuration problem on my end.

yes- you have excellent timing, the backend has just been nearly
completely re-written, and the 5120 should work quite well. the problem is
your frontend. though there are some speed issues, which are hopefully
about to be resolved...

allan
fujitsu backend maintainer