[sane-devel] Problems with sane and USB

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Nov 8 00:33:15 CET 2006

cl at isbd.net writes:

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 08:24:33AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> cl at isbd.net writes:
>>
>> > On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 09:19:38AM +0000, cl at isbd.net wrote:
>> > It's not that I have two copies of sane installed, it's the various
>> > "add-ons" that have screwed things up.  It would appear that both the
>> > HPLIP/CUPS installation and the iscan installation have assumed a base
>> > directory of /usr/local whereas the basic sane installation is in
>> > /usr.
>>
>> The iscan RPMs use /usr (and are not relocatable).  If you compiled
>> from source, the ./configure script is GNU standards compliant and
>> uses /usr/local as the default prefix.  A look at:
>>
>>   $ ./configure --help
>>
>> would have told you that.  You can easily recompile for /usr with
>>
>>   # ./configure --prefix=/usr
>>
> Yes, that's exactly what I have done (after uninstalling the
> /usr/local version of iscan) and, as I have already reported here, it
> has fixed all of my problems.
>
> It's just unfortunate that my Slackware package install of sane put
> it in /usr and the iscan install went to /usr/local by default.
> Normally one *can* install 'non standard' packages (i.e. stuff that's
> not part of the Slackware distribution) in /usr/local without
> problems.  Iscan is an exception and needs to be in the same place as
> the rest of sane.

<nitpick>
That is open for discussion.  You can install iscan under /usr/local
and create a symbolic link to the epkowa backend in /usr/lib/sane or
set up your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/lib/sane.  It's not
so much iscan's fault as that the distribution's SANE packages assume
all backends live in the same place.
</nitpick>

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/