[sane-devel] Help with deciding which frontend to use please

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 9 09:51:58 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:23:24PM +0000, Jon Chambers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At the risk of muddying the waters still further you have another couple of
>
> 1. Kooka is a KDE SANE app that some people like a lot.

I might take a look at that, thanks, I have the KDE libraries
installed though I don't run a KDE desktop.

> 2. Additionally there is an xsane GIMP plugin.
>
> If you intend to process your images straight after scanning then the latter
> might be the way to go.
>
> > Also would I find it easier to use (say) the Gimp for the corrections
> > using the scanner front end purely for getting as much information as
> > possible from the slides?  I'd prefer not to do this as it adds
> > another 'layer' of learning but if it's the right way to go then it's
> > the right way to go.

I did mention Gimp as a possibility, with caveats.

When you say "process your images" what do you mean?  Isn't removing
colour casts that?  If it is are you saying that it will be easier in
the Gimp?  I'm not aiming to do any serious cropping or major work on
the slides, I just want to preserve what there is and remove major
colour casts etc.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)