[sane-devel] Help with deciding which frontend to use please

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 9 10:13:17 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 09:07:06AM +0000, Jon Chambers wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> >[...]
> >When you say "process your images" what do you mean?  Isn't removing
> >colour casts that?  If it is are you saying that it will be easier in
> >the Gimp?  I'm not aiming to do any serious cropping or major work on
> >the slides, I just want to preserve what there is and remove major
> >colour casts etc.
>
> WHen I say "process your images" I mean do whatever kind of colour
> filtering that you need to restore your slides.  I haven't tried this (I'm
> colourblind so I tend not to mess with the colour operations of the
> Gimp!).  If you have many slides to scan & process then one of the key
> benefits of the Gimp is that operations can be scripted (natively with
> the script-fu stuff or else there are plugins for other languages, eg:
> perl).  This means:
>
> 1. Someone may already have written the filter that you need.
> 2. You have the option to bite the bullet, plough through the Gimp manual,
> and write the script yourself.  There's an upfront time cost but it'll be
> worth it if you have hundreds of slides.

Thanks for the explanation and insight into what the Gimp can do, I've
only rarely used it and haven't explored it seriously at all.

However I don't think it necessarily means that the Gimp has a big
advantage as:-

    The colour casts I'm dealing with are not all that consistent,
    there is usually at the very most just one film with a given
    colour cast and that can be just ten or twelve slides.

    Some (many?) of the scanner front-ends allow you to save a
    'profile' which is essentially a collection of settings for
    handling a particular film type (or whatever). Certainly vuescan
    can do this and I'm pretty sure xsane can too.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)