[sane-devel] Help with deciding which frontend to use please

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 9 13:42:03 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:51:57AM +0000, Martin Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:51:58 +0000
> cl at isbd.net wrote:
>
> > I'm not aiming to do any serious cropping or major
> > work on the slides, I just want to preserve what there is and
> > remove major colour casts etc.
>
> The Gimp is only capable of 8 bit per channel colour. To "preserve
> what there is" you'll want to scan in greater depth than that (if the
> scanner will do it) and use Cinepaint or Krita to process the images.

Ah, now that's a point, thank you for bringing it up.

Yes, my scanner can do greater colour depth so it will be worth using
something that can preserve that colour depth.  So that at least
eliminates one of many possibilities, I don't want a 'front end for
the Gimp' type approach.

> Another thing to consider is digital ICE. Does xsane support it? I
> expect vuescan will.

Very true too, the scanner does have an IR channel so software that
exploits that does make sense. Vuescan has its own algorithms that use
the IR channel rather than using the proprietary (and presumably
expensive) Digital ICE.  I'm not sure if xsane does anything on this
front but it certainly may be an issue, thanks again.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)