[sane-devel] Problems with HP 6300C ADF

long-john01 long-john01 at online.ms
Sat Nov 11 11:05:42 CET 2006

Hello all,

I've got problems with my HP6300C Scanner unter SuSE Linux 9.3.
I need to scan a lot of documents. Therefore I bought the scanner with ADF on ebay.
The scanner semms to be OK. The scanner uses USB 1.0 and the computer has USB 2.0. USB on the computer works fine with other components.
When I boot the computer and switch on the scanner, the scanner is recognised by Linux and I can scan about 20 pages with the ADF.

After about 20 pages, sometimes after 2 or 3 pages, an I/O-error occures. After that it is not possible to go on scanning in any way. Maybe there is an ennor in USB communication.

Once the I/O-Error occured the scan starts and the ADF feeds the pape to the startposition. The scanner moves to the scan position and moves once or twice. After that scanning should start, but the I/O error appears again and again. Even when I switch off the scanner for a while and switch it on again, it is connected to a new USB-Port, but the error appears again on the 2nd page.

questions:
What kind of error is it?
	- thermal problem within the scanner
	- USB-communication in the scanner
		- Is it useful to try the SCSI-connector - I havn't got a SCSI adaptor and cable yet.
	- USB communication of USB1.0 (scanner) and USB20 (computer)
	- timing (handshaking) between computer and scanner
Can I reset the USB driver on the computer?
Can I reset the scanner over USB?

components
SuSE 9.3 mit KDE 3.4
Scanimage backend 1.0.15; xsane 0.999
Es ist der HP-Treiber von sane installiert, das komplette Funktionalität
bieten soll.
scanner USB 1.0.
computer USB 2.0

Do you have any tips for solving the problem?

Regards
Guido Bergen