[sane-devel] Epson GT-12000 SCSI scanner

Wolfram Heider wolframheider at web.de
Sat Nov 18 19:16:40 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:35:10 +0100, Dr. Karl Kashofer
<karl.kashofer at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have trouble getting the Epson GT-12000 SCSI scanner working. It is not
> recognized by sane-find-scanner.
> This is my SCSI card:
>> 0000:00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U
>
> Here is all the info:
>
>> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>> Attached devices:
>> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>>   Vendor: EPSON    Model: Stylus Storage   Rev: 1.00
>>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>>
>> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ scsiinfo -a /dev/sg0
>>  Scsiinfo version 1.7(eowmob)
>>
>> Inquiry command
>> ---------------
>> Relative Address                   0
>> Wide bus 32                        0
>> Wide bus 16                        0
>> Synchronous neg.                   0
>> Linked Commands                    0
>> Command Queueing                   0
>> SftRe                              0
>> Device Type                        0
>> Peripheral Qualifier               0
>> Removable?                         1
>> Device Type Modifier               0
>> ISO Version                        0
>> ECMA Version                       0
>> ANSI Version                       2
>> AENC                               0
>> TrmIOP                             0
>> Response Data Format               2
>> Vendor:                    EPSON
>> Product:                   Stylus Storage
>> Revision level:            1.00
>>
>> ioctl(SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND) status   = 134217730
>> Unable to read Rigid Disk Geometry Page 04h
>> Unable to read Caching Page 08h
>> Unable to read Format Device Page 03h
>> Unable to read Read-Write Error Recovery Page 01h
>> Unable to read Control Mode Page 0ah
>> Unable to read Disconnect-Reconnect Page 02h
>> Data from Defect Lists
>> ----------------------
>> Unable to read manufacturer defect data.
>> Unable to read grown defect data.
>> Unable to read Notch and Partition Page 0ch
>> Unable to read Verify Error Recovery Page 07h
>> Unable to read Peripheral Device Page 09h
>> beka at beka-desktop:~/Karl_Admin$ sane-find-scanner
>>
>>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>>
>>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
>> sure
>> that # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>>
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x082b [USB2.0
>> MFP(Hi-Speed)]) at libusb:004:003 # Your USB scanner was (probably)
>> detected. It may or may not be supported by # SANE. Try scanimage -L and
>> read the backend's manpage.
>>
>>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>>
>>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
>> ports
>>   # can't be detected by this program.

> [...]

The GT 12000/ES 8000 isn't in the list of the supported devices by SANE,
so it may not work with the epson-backend. However the external
epkowa-backend (iscan) may work - it is listed there as 'untested'. To
make your scanner known to your system, you will have to go to
'epkowa.conf' and fill in the path to the device simply by uncommenting
the line with '/dev/scanner' if you have set this link, or to add the
direct path, i.e. /dev/sg0.

Try the first scan as root. If it doesn't work, chances are high, that the
GT 12000 isn't supported by the epkowa-backend either.

Regards
Wolfram Heider