[sane-devel] Still problems with Epson Perfection 3490 Photo

Jurgen Defurne jurgen.defurne at pandora.be
Tue Nov 21 18:38:45 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 04:54:12PM -0200, Marcio Braga wrote:
> Hello, I'm new on Linux and in this list. My intention is to help
> sharing my experience making this target scanner to work on Linux from
> OpenSuSE 10.1 on x86-64 arch. Just in case, I wrote a small "how to" on:
> http://en.opensuse.org/Epson_Perfection_3490_Photo
>

> Considering OpenSuSE already with Sane, the major steps are:
>
> 1. Check if usb hoplug recognized your usb scanner: Use command line
> "lsusb" to check.

Check :

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b8:0122 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

> 2. Check if sane let snapscan be available: Uncomment snapscan
> in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Check : Only snapscan is enabled in dll.conf

> 3. Check if snapscan recognize the usb scanner: On OpenSuSE use YaST
> (Hardware/Scanner). Do not know how to do it on Ubuntu.

Check : firmware /usr/share/iscan/esfw52.bin

and /usr/share/iscan/esfw52.bin does exist.

> 4. Check if snapscan.conf (on /etc/sane.d) pointing correctly to the
> target scanner firmware esfw52.bin.
>
> obs: You can get the firmware esfw52.bin installing iscan-firmware 1.18
> rpm package (in this 1.18 version there are packages for i386, i586 and
> x86-64 arch).

I got already several from these packages, and a few months ago I
compared them. It seems that this firmware is very stable.