[sane-devel] Canon_pp freezes halfway

Matthew Duggan stauff at guarana.org
Wed Nov 29 13:33:15 CET 2006

Hi there!

On 29/11/2006, at 11:22 AM, selma kapetanovic wrote:
> I am running
> ..
> * Parallel port is in EPP mode (BIOS setting)

I'll get back to this...

> It scans most often (not always) in black and white. For color mode
> the number of "reads" varies from two to four.

Hmm.. that's quite weird, but I'm guessing it's just the increased
amount of data in colour mode.

> I spent quite some time trying to make it work. Should I have known
> it takes so much time, I would toss the scanner in the garbage.
> At this point it is more of a challenge. I know that I am not the
> only person who has the problem and I want to post the solution to
> the Ubuntu web site along with a recommendation not to buy canon
> scanners.

Well, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know, but it's
not so much the scanner as the port.

Parallel ports are flakey things - it's amazing they ever work
really.  They're just not really designed to push the large amounts
of data scanners need to move.

> [canon_pp] detect_mode: Port supports ECP-H.
> [canon_pp] detect_mode: Port supports interrupts

So according to the probing done by libieee1284, the port supports
ECP-H transfers and interrupts, but no mention of DMA.  Generally
speaking I've had the most success in the past using ECP and DMA mode
or pure software mode, but pure software is very slow and nasty - DMA
is much preferred if you can get it working.

Anyway, I think the first thing to try is setting the BIOS setting to
"ECP+EPP" if it has such an option, instead of "EPP".  After that you
should maybe allocate a fixed IRQ to the parallel port (yes, I know,
plug&play - but it's just more reliable this way!).  Once you've done
that you can try playing with the parport_pc module settings to try
and get DMA transfers working.  I wish there was an easier way, but
that's pretty much it.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

- Matthew