[sane-devel] Question regarding sane & libusb

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:31:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, René Kjellerup wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The documentation on this seems to be purely reference
> for programmers who have used them before...
>
> How do one read/write to a usb device (scanner)?
> Will it return data on invalid commands, and where?
> And so on...

depends on the device. some will just lock hard and require a power cycle.
your best bet is to get it installed on windows with its native driver,
and then use benoit's sniffusb to get a log of some simple operations. you
will likely want to clean up those logs for readability, there are quite a
few progs for that running around. i personally like 'spike4.pl' :)

> Could I see a general piece of code that I could use
> as a template?

generally you want to write a small libusb prog that is outside of sane
first. there are a couple examples that come with libusb. let us know some
more about the device, and we can give better pointers...

allan