[sane-devel] sane and the samsung software for laser printer ml-2250

Jeremy Johnson jazz_johnson at verizon.net
Mon Oct 2 21:23:12 UTC 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 01:32, joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the installation of the SAMsung printer software for
> the printer ml-2250 (FILE: 20060711101742437_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz
> from the SAMSUNG website) disables the usage of the USB scanner CANON
> LIDE 30 by non root users
>
> I'am running fc5, and before installing this SAMSUNG printer driver I
> could scan as normal user without problem. But after installing
> 0060711101742437_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz, scanning was no more possible:
>
> xsane
>
> insmod: can't read
> '/lib/modules/2.6.18/kernel/drivers/mfpportctrl/mfpport.ko': No such
> file or directory
>
> Starting xsane/scanimage as root was possible on the other hand.
>
> After uninstalling the driver, I could again start xsane without
> problems as normal user.
>
> The problem is Kernel independent: running the Vanilla kernel 2.6.18 and
> FC5 kernel both produce the same error results.

In the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
try commenting out the Samsung driver: smfp
which Samsung's Unified Linux Driver appends to this file.

I had this same problem. "scanimage -L"  worked but "xsane" no longer did,
because xsane loads the drivers in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and
Samsung does not provide smtp, although it does create device nodes
for its multi function printer.