[sane-devel] Avision 'bug' with kodak i40

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:21:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Rene Rebe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 14:06, m. allan noah wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Rene Rebe wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Yeah, best always CC me as I do need to track soo many lists.
>>>
>>> Thanks for this comment as I never got feedback for the i40. I already
>>> have longer timeouts in my SVN development copy and I'll sync all the
>>> tested changes to SANE CVS in the next days.
>>>
>>> How comes you tinker with so many differnet scanner brands recently?
>>
>> the same question could be asked of you, since it seems that avision
>> backend works with 9 or 10 'manufacturers' :) i volunteered to make sure
>
> Yeah. Avision is one of the biggest scanner manufactors delivering to a lot
> OEM companies, Kodak, Visioneer, HP, Oki, ... to name a few. I think a Google
> search will reveal that Avision manufactures about 300.000 scanners per
> month ...

or, for those on this side of the pond, 300,000 :)

>> this scanner works under SANE, it was not my choice of hardware. i would
>> rather have changeable background color of a nice fujitsu :)
>
> Changable background color?

yes, the higher end fujitsus ($900+) have a servo/solenoid-driven
background behind the page, opposite the read head, such that the driver
can choose between a black or white background. when you enable
overscanning, this makes it quite easy to deskew the page.

> Btw. some Fujitsu are also made by Avision :-)

i am aware. IIRC, FUJITSU (or at least FCPA) was AVISION's first customer.
remember that i have an sp15c for which i sent patches to you :)