[sane-devel] Merging multiple images into PDF

Kristian Fiskerstrand news at kfwebs.net
Thu Oct 19 15:26:40 UTC 2006

Greetings list,

I recently purchased an Epson Perfection 4490 Office W/Document Feeder
(ADF) and it is working very nicely using iscan (
http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html ) .

The reason for getting this scanner in the first place was a discussion
on this list where it was recommended, so thank you.

Now, I only have one question with regards to it, and that is merging
multiple images into a single PDF file. When scanning I get files in the
format somename-####.jpg , .pnm or .png depending on the format I
specify. and I would very much like to merge them into a single file to
send out.

I've tried to get this to work using a couple of different approaches.
Using ImageMagick's convert was one of them, both into PDF directly and
into PostScript and convert it to PDF using ps2pdf afterwards, but both
of these approaches were un-successful in the terms of acceptable
output. I tried adjusting -density and -page but I still don't get
acceptable output from my 300dpi scans.

In addition I tried a perl script called jpg2pdf, which is supposed to
generate "albums" from multiple images, but that as well was unsuccessful.

After that I considered creating my own online PDF-service using FPDF (
http://www.fpdf.org/ ), but the initial testing shows that the cropping
gets all wrong. That said this is the approach that has gotten me the
furthest as of yet and that I'm most likely to persue unless someone has
a good suggestion for me. The downside is of course the transfer of >
1MB image files and downloading the resulting PDF file again.

Yours sincerely,

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.kfwebs.net