[sane-devel] SANE2 progress, eliminate data port

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Tue Oct 24 20:09:55 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 2006-10-24 15:47, astrand at cendio.se wrote:
> Hi. Can anyone explain the state of the SANE2 branch? I've noticed that
> the SANE2 development seems inactive. Is this branch discontinued?

The development of SANE2 hasn't begun, there have been only
discussions and there is a draft of the SANE2 standard. The standard
is not finished yet as some of the problems are not easy to solve.

> I will make a try to eliminate the separate data port requirement for
> "saned". I think it should be possible to do this by extending the SANE1
> protocol in a backwards compatible way, say, by introducing a new RPC
> call. Comments on this?

Possible problems: You can't cancel a scan while data acquisition is
in progress. This is one of the adavantages of the 2 port solution.