[sane-devel] Samsung's MFP driver borks dll.conf

Jeremy Johnson jazz_johnson at verizon.net
Thu Sep 7 22:56:47 UTC 2006

I downloaded the 2006 Samsung Universal Linux Driver and installed.
the new ppd files all seem to pass cupstestppd syntax check which the
ones included in the previous Samsung driver tarball did not. The new
ppd files work fine with cups, unlike the old.

Unfortunately, the install.sh borks xsane and saned
The install.sh script creates device nodes for SXC
and sets up the smfp proprietary module for modprobe'ing.

The install.sh script also appends smfp to the end of /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
which causes saned to look for parport_pc and lp modules, which kills
my xsane since I compiled those features into my kernel.

Simply commenting out the smfp driver in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
solves the problem.