[sane-devel] Epson perfection 660 usb - problem with lineart scanning - snapscan backend

Frédéric Leroy fredo at starox.org
Sat Sep 9 17:52:44 UTC 2006

Le mardi 05 septembre 2006 à 20:29 +0200, Oliver Schwartz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > > When I try to scan in lineart mode, it makes garbage on output.
> > > The scan seems "misaligned".
> > > But if I first make a scan in gray or color mode, and then switch
> > > to lineart, it works !
> >
> > It works ... sometimes :(
> >
> > I acquire a scan in Lineart mode and make a log :
> > http://www.starox.org/pub/sane/snapscan/lineart.log
> > It makes dirty squares in the image :
> > http://www.starox.org/pub/sane/snapscan/lineart.pnm
> [...]
> Maybe you can provide an USB trace of a lineart scan on windows.
> You need to install an USB sniffer first. I prefer USBSnoop which is
> available from http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/ . The page
> also gives basic instructions on how to use it.
>
> To produce the log you should
> - unplug and replug the scanner
> - Start the scanning software
> - Do a preview scan
> - Do a very small scan with lowest resolution
I forgot to set the lowest resolution :(

So here is the tarball:
http://www.starox.org/pub/sane/snapscan/epson%20perfection%20660%20-%
20lieart%20mode%20-%20usbsnoop.tar.bz2

Or go simply here if the link above don't work:
http://www.starox.org/pub/sane/snapscan/

I made 2 scans, one with a small images (scanner tool says it's 765byte)
and another one with full width.

==========================
Offsets :
0	Plug the scanner in
2819458	Scanner preview ended

* Click on acquire button
3790xxx Calibration stuff (it pause but I hadn't time to read the
        number)
3827264 scan of image 1 finished

* Change the surface of acqusition (no activity on usb) and click on
        acquire button
480xxxx Calibration stuff
5322638 scan of image 2 finished