[sane-devel] EXIF data in TIFF images

m. allan noah anoah at pfeiffer.edu
Sat Sep 9 20:05:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:

>> Hi all,
>> is there any way, using SANE API, to pass EXIF data from a backend to
>> the application? I am looking at the coolscan2 backend and wondering if
>> resolution, position, date, scanner model, etc could be stored in the
>> output TIFF file.
>
> I found an old thread about this subject, of august 2003. From that thread
> it seems that the better approach would be to leave EXIF to the frontend.
> BTW, it was suggested to enhance sane-2 in order to have a better
> interface even for EXIF.

what about the possiblity of adding a named option and give the exif data
in a read-only text string? the only problem i see with that is that the
value of this option would only be valid _after_ the page has been
scanned (ie- the length of an adf scan may not be known before scanning)

what parts of exif cannot be extracted from existing sane options?

allan