[sane-devel] scanning negatives

Jamie Morken jmorken at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 24 07:09:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am going to be scanning several hundred old 70mm
film rolls (about 100 images per roll), and was
wondering about which SANE compatible scanner would
be good to use for this that is not too expensive
and can do the recommended 2700dpi+ negative
scanning?  Is the HP Scanjet 3970 a good one?  I
think it would be good to have the extra infra-red
channel, like digital-ICE or similar dust removal
etc.

Also would a homemade transparency light box above
the scanner work well for negative scanning?

I would like to make a film spool feeder to
automatically advance the frames as they are
scanned and then interface this to SANE to
synchronize it all. (maybe receive a signal
from the SANE frontend to trigger the spooler
each time the scan is complete?)

Is there software that can automatically crop
multiple scanned images?  ie. If I use a black
cardboard sheet on the scanner glass with cutouts
for exposing 9 negatives at once (3 film rolls
spooling at once) then automatically crop and write
these 9 negatives to files?

I've been trying to figure out the best light source
to use for scanning negatives, I've tried flourescent, incandescent, a flashlight, a white
lightbox etc but all of the scans look horrible
so far, with only green colour once I invert them.

cheers,
Jamie