[sane-devel] sane plustek with two similar usb scanners connected (Canon lide 20): error during device I/O

xavier desurmont dxadxa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 10:41:46 UTC 2007

I try to use 2 scanners (the same ones). I connect the
two usb, switch on the computer and then :

va2 at va2-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 04a9:220d Canon, Inc. CanoScan
N670U/N676U/LiDE 20
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04a9:220d Canon, Inc. CanoScan
N670U/N676U/LiDE 20
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc.
M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

(note that at each switch on on the computer the bus
and order could change)
I test to scan "one", it works

va2 at va2-desktop:~$ SANE_DEBUG=255 USB_DEBUG=255 time
scanimage --device-name plustek:libusb:003:005
--verbose >test.tiffusb_set_debug: Setting debugging
level to 255 (on)
usb_os_init: Found USB VFS at /dev/bus/usb
usb_os_find_busses: Skipping non bus directory devices
usb_os_find_busses: Found 005
usb_os_find_busses: Found 004
usb_os_find_busses: Found 003
usb_os_find_busses: Found 001
usb_os_find_busses: Found 002
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 005
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 004
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
usb_os_find_devices: Found 005 on 003
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 003
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl
for device
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
usb_os_find_devices: Found 004 on 001
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl
for device
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 002
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: couldn't get connect info
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 002
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
error obtaining child information: Operation not
permitted
scanimage: scanning image of size 202x150 pixels at 24
bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
scanimage: received signal 2
scanimage: trying to stop scanner
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 255/0
scanimage: sane_read: Operation was cancelled
Command exited with non-zero status 2
0.00user 0.01system 0:10.09elapsed 0%CPU
(0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

then I test scan "two", it fails... (what is funny is
the scanner one is moving a little bit when I try to
scan on the scanner two)

va2 at va2-desktop:~$ SANE_DEBUG=255 USB_DEBUG=255 time
scanimage --device-name plustek:libusb:001:004
[...]
scanimage: open of device plustek:libusb:001:004
failed: Error during device I/O
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0.00user 0.00system 0:00.28elapsed 0%CPU
(0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

then I disconnect the scanner "one" from usb:

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04a9:220d Canon, Inc. CanoScan
N670U/N676U/LiDE 20
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc.
M-UV69a Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

then the previous command to scan on scanner "two" is
now working well:

[...]
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 0/255
scanimage: read 90900 bytes in total
0.01user 0.00system 0:29.12elapsed 0%CPU
(0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

conclusion:
-there is a problem
-I would say that the initialisation procedure of the
plustek backend doesn't refer completely to the
parameter --device-name plustek:libusb:0xx:0yy and
proceed some command to the wrong scanner, then the
continuation of the procedure is corrupted and it
fails
-I have ubuntu 6.10, and the error is working with
several different computers.

How to arrange that ? :-)

Xavier.