[sane-devel] HP scanjet 3670 why there's no suport?

Stéphane VOLTZ stef.dev at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 15:18:13 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 5 avril 2007, sombriks a écrit :
> Hi guys this is my first mail.
>
> well, i have this scanner and it's still not supported (there have mail
> in mai archive about genesys backend from 3 years ago!), so i'm into an
> intersitng
> situation.
>
> My first question is why this backend does not support my scanner. And
> my second question is what can i do to help the developement of the
> backend (since for instance i can start as tester i also can learn a bit
> of C and the SANE patterns of backends and under a more experienced
> programmer do something.
>
> Actually i'm a java programmer, but i have some time (sunday's midnigth,
>
> :D) and really want to scan my old photos without buy a new scanner.
>
> Oh, about the thread
> (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2003-November/009360.h
>tml), how can i help these guys? is there some code available for now?
>
> BTW: thanks guys for a project like it: i had used (for example) an
> LiDE20 and it worked really perfect.

	Hello,

	the genesys backend supports two gl646 models (MD6471 and HP2300). I have put
some tools and documentation at http://stef.dev.free.fr/sane/genesys . The
gl646 ASIC is one of the few for which you can get a pdf documenting its
registers (search for 'gl646 pdf' to find it).
	Adding support for it doesn't involved deep knowledge in C, but quite some
trial and error after much time spent gazing at the USB logs.
	Any patch to improve support the genesys backend is welcomed.

Regards,
	Stef