[sane-devel] How to release our SANE driver?

Jan Kandziora jjj at gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 13:02:13 UTC 2007

Am Montag, 9. April 2007 10:30 schrieb Horky Chen:
> Dear all,
>
> We wrote a SANE driver for our own scanners, how shall we release it?
> I think we just need to copy .la and .so file into /usr/loca/lib/sane,
> and modify some configuration file. Our SANE driver  will be
> commercial package,  so could you please give me some comments?

The best idea ist *not* to give away packages with the hardware or via
download on your company home page. This is "the windows way", and it's an
incredibly clumsy way to distribution device drivers.

Linux users are happiest with drivers already included in their Linux
distribution (CD/DVD and/or the distribution's package repositories). That
way, drivers don't have to modify any configuration files but fit seemless
into the distribution.

Therefore, the best way to distribute a propietary driver is to ask common
distributors (e.g. Debian, RedHat, SuSE, Mandriva) to incorporate such a
binary-only driver into their distributions. There are special repositories
for such software, you won't be the first company doing it that way.

Kind regards

	Jan
--
Zero Defects, n.:
	The result of shutting down a production line.