[sane-devel] Kyocera Mita FS-1116MFP

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Aug 7 12:13:50 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Aug 7 12:08 Andreas Pape wrote (shortened):
> Kyocera Mita FS-1116MFP

See
http://www.kyoceramita.de/index/produkte/product/fs1116mfp.technical_specification.html
"Host-Based Printing System (GDI)"
and
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:GDI_Printers
what this means.

> FS-1118MFP

Acording the the Kyocera web site this one seems to support
PCL and PostScript (but I don't know what the '*' means in
Kyocera's specification regarding PCL and PostScript) and see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
what this means in contrast to the piece of crap above.

If you like to print, scan, and copy via network
regardles of the operating system, see

If you are looking for a well supported all-in-one device,
which works even via a local USB connection, see
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/index.html
and for more details what exactly is supported regarding
printing, see
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/device_classes.html

For usage via network note that third-party printserver boxes
usually support only simple unidirectional data transfer from
the PC to the device.
Therefore plain printing usually works (but even for plain
printing there is no guarantee) but usually nothing else
(e.g. scanning) works with non-HP printserver boxes.

See the notes at:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/combined.html
1):
Network support indicates built-in ethernet and/or wireless
networking. Alternatively, many devices may be operated on
the network using an external JetDirect print server.
Not all network configurations are supported. Please refer
to the HPLIP FAQs for more information.

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/faqs.html
Question: What network print servers are supported?
Answer: Currently we have only tested HP JetDirect devices with HPLIP.
No other network print servers are supported.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex