[sane-devel] Epson 3490 quirk?

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Fri Dec 7 14:26:32 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone

I have an Epson 3490. It did work in Ubuntu Edgy but not too well. If I
used it in Windoze and then Ubuntu it worked fine. However if it was not
re-initialized under windoze every so often it would not work.

Now I have upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

 From what I have read on the net there were kernel issues that caused
scanner troubles in Feisty. We were supposed to install scanbutton and
run scanbuttond as a normal user. I did that but it did not help.

I don't know if I have a scanner problem or an Ubuntu problem.

The scanner is being found

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0122 [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:005:002

$ scanimage -L
device `snapscan:libusb:005:002' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner

but I get this message when I use xsane:

Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:005:002";
Invalid argument

Someone posted a configuration file fix but I can't find any mention of
a firmware file in test.conf

you then edit /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf and replace :

firmware /etc/sane.d/test.conf

with the full path to the firmware and it should work fine and dandy !

I am pretty mixed up please help.

BTW if you think I might be able to help with sane please let me know. I
don't think my programming skills are quite there yet but I do have a
lot of nice electronic and optical test equipment. I am not sure if
there is any need to do tests at the chip level. Just a thought....

Thanks in advance-Patrick