[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE30 problem

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Fri Dec 7 21:19:16 UTC 2007

* G.J.M. KLAVER  <gerard at gkall.hobby.nl> [071207 21:10]:
> Quoting Gerhard Jaeger <gerhard at gjaeger.de>:
>
> >On Thursday 06 December 2007 09:18:36 Johannes Ranke wrote:
> >>Hi Gerhard and Gerard,
> >>(replying to Gerard because I didn't receive Gerhards mail since I am
> >>not on the list)
> >>
> >>Thanks for the suggestion with CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND! I just booted a
> >>self-compiled kernel without this option, and scanning works again from
> >>the graphical frontends. What I don't understand is why it works from
> >>the command line with scanimage, but not with the graphical frontends.
> >>

> >The GUI frontends are checking for the device and the release it.
> >This is the point, where the USB subsystem waits some time and decides
> >to go to the suspend mode - which the scanners don't like.
> >
> >scanimage itself, opens the device and scans without giving the USB
> >subsystem the chance to go to sleep...
> >
> >AFAIK, there's a workaround in more recent kernels, but I don't
> >recall - maybe Julien?
> >
> >Another workaround came to my mind: use the scanbutton daemon,
> >which checks each 200ms for a pressed scanner button. That way,
> >the USB won't also fell asleep...
> >
> >Ciao,
> >Gerhard
> >
> >--
> >

> IIRC in SANE CVS there is also a patch for the suspend mode problem

Ah, would this have worked with kernel 2.6.20 with USB_SUSPEND though? I
am sure there are still people using such kernels (as I was), and when
they occasionally want to scan they will not know how to work around
their problem. I am a little hesitant to file bug reports against all
the graphical frontends from xscanimage via quiteinsane, kooka and
whoknowswhatelse in the Debian BTS.

Johannes