[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MP130

Epostlistor gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 17:54:32 UTC 2007

I visited http://www.sane-project.org/contrib.html and readed about
contributing to the project - Writing a Backend (Driver).

The page said that "You don't need to be an experienced programmer.
Backends are usually written in C, so some basic knowledge of this
language helps. You need a lot of patience, however, especially if you
can't get programmer's documentation from your scanner's manufacturer."

I learned C many years ago and I still think I remember most of it, but I
am not programming very much these days. I am writing here because I think
I need all the help I can get. Maybe someone is already doing this, then I
might be able to contribute in some way. If not, it feels like there are a
lot of things I need to know. Maybe there are similar backend drivers out
there that I can get inspiration from and learn how to write things like
that.

I have the Canon PIXMA MP130 and my operating system is GNU/Linux Ubuntu
Studio 7.10. I also have a small partition with Windows XP, so I can use
the scanner that way, but of course I want to use it with Ubuntu. At the
moment I can only use the printing function with Ubuntu, but I needed to
install additional software before that was possible.

Is there some kind of software for Windows that can "scan" what's sent and
received to/from the MP130 while scanning etc? I guess that would help
somewhat.

My idea is to write a very basic driver just to make it possible to scan
with no fancy features (which are pretty useless anyway in most cases).
Some things, like basic image editing, is better done with dedicated
software, such as GIMP, I guess.

So, any comments to this? Will this task be too tough for someone like
me..?

Johnny Rosenberg