[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:58:01 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:26:12 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/17/07, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:

> > there was no consensus at that time, but since then, those of us that
> > need these options have plowed ahead and added them to SANE 1. I
> > really dont want to see a proliferation of types, but as long as the
> > user is required to set some option to get the non-rgb output, and the
> > help text for that option explains that the frontend may break, it is
> > a workable solution. well, its more workable if we all agree on what
> > the new types are :)
>
>  in theory the frontend should not break, since it should check the returned
>  frame type. I believe my tiffscan works that way :-D

and i modified scanimage to also handle unknown frame types.

> > maybe you could come back to the table, and we can get this backend into sane.
>
>  I'd love it.
>
>  from what I've understood we'd need RGBI, GRAYI and RIGIBI.

there are also at least three fax compression variants, as well as a
text variant for hardware patch-code support. i've got a HUGE scanner
in my dining room ATM that needs these. Actually, the bell and howell
backend already supports all these, with a #ifndef.

 If there's space,
>  i' love to have a way to ask the backend for scanner make/model. :)

that is already in the SANE_Device struct?

>  if we can make RGBI = 0x10 I will avoid to rewrite the frontend :)

if you include sane.h you wont have to change it later.

allan

ps- are you on the mailing list? i'll stop cc'ing you if so...