[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Dec 17 21:51:57 UTC 2007

René Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that was a fast reply :-)
>
> On 17.12.2007, at 10:31, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:29:03 +0100
>> René Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Alessandro,
>>>
>>> I just spotted the infrared option. I wonder how you output the
>>> infra-
>>> red
>>> data?
>>
>>> In the Avision backend I recently added infrared support but so far I
>>> just output two frames, one with the infra-red channel(s) and the
>>> other
>>> one with the ordinary image data.
>>>
>>> What is your backend doing?
>>
>> alongside RGB data and this is why you need my program tiffscan
>> to read it. that's why the bakend is experimental and not
>> suited for mainstream sane. I defined a new frame type,
>> SANE_FRAME_RGBX for it.
>
> Ah, ok. We recently added SANE_FRAME_JPEG, and in that
> discussion I proposed GRAYI and RGBI.
>
> What is the data format of your scanner? The Avision based ones
> return a infra-red value for each R, G and B sensor, not just one
> value per pixel, so I get: R,RI,G,GI,B,BI. I can imagine other devices
> just return one I sample per pixel.
>
> We should take that into account before adding some official
> frame format to the SANE stanard.

The inability of the SANE standard to accept an IR channel is something
that came up at over seven years ago on this list!!!

Perhaps one day I will be able to dump Vuescan for something that is
open source. However given that I have been waiting seven years for this
and SANE still has not got around to including the ability to scan the
IR channel in the standard I am not holding my breath.

In the meantime my copy of Vuescan is one of the best software purchases
I have ever made.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195