[sane-devel] frame and batch mode

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Dec 18 12:00:44 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 12:13 +0100, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am slowly working on the coolscan2 backend and I am looking at
> tiffscan for batch scanning.
>
> What I see is that any frontend that would drive a batch scan should
> manage different type of feeder and pages. Probably the easier one is
> the ADF case where the scanner load/eject every page; but the trickier
> one is the stripe case: we may load/eject a stripe, but we need to batch
> frames inside the stripe.
>
> When a frontend offer parameters like --batch-from-page/frame and
> --batch-count, it should be able to understand what feeder is present
> and how to ask for a specific frame.
>
> So, my questions: is there already any standard for those action? Is
> there any defined rule for how to name a backend parameter like
> "--frame-number"? Is there any way to know what feeder types are
> available at a given time?

Good grief, those feelings of déja vu. are pretty strong at the moment.

The basics are that as it stands the SANE standard is heavily geared to
transmission scanning on flatbed scanners. Understandable as it probably
accounts for 99% of users requirements.

However any work in extending the SANE standard to take into account
other types of scanners and things like ADF's scan buttons on scanners
etc. has all come to nothing.

The specific requirements for film scanners where detailed by myself
over five years ago. I guess it is just to easy to fork over the money
for Vuescan and just get on with actually using your film scanner under
Linux.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195