[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MP130

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:36:39 UTC 2007

2007/12/18, James Crow <james at ultratans.com>:

> You might want to check the list archives for Canon PIXMA driver
> support. I have the MP160 and it is supported. There is driver that
> works in CVS. It may also include support for your printer.
> Start here: http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/
>
> Thanks,
> James

There's exactly where I looked. Here's a quote from that site:
" Unknown protocol: These devices don't work with this backend and there is
no easy way to add supports because they use a different command set which
has to be analyzed first. Co-programmers are welcome! :-) I personally
cannot do this because I don't have the devices. MP110 4A9:1700 1200 N N - N
unsupported  MP130 4A9:1701 1200 N N - N unsupported"

I saw that someone wrote here about the MP110. Maybe the MP130 can use the
same driver?

Anyway, the site I referred to when I first wrote, suggested that someone
could write a backend to this and other unsupported drivers and it also said
that it is not a very hard thing to do for people who know a little C, for
example. Well, since I have studied C a long time ago, I thought that maybe
this isn't very impossible after all, but I guess I will need some help to
get me started. I don't know where to begin, kind of. I don't even know
exactly how a driver in general works... I need some basic knowledge to get
started, and I just thought that someone here could give me some kind of
clue where to start or some links that explain things...

What do I need (except a C compiler and the scanner)?
Can the fact that I also have Windows XP with a working driver be of any
help? Is there some kind of software for Windows that can give me any clues
about how the MP130 works?

Yes, I can do some C programming, but I need to know what I need to do...
otherwise it's kind of being told to create a schoilkus program in C without
also being told what a schoilkus program is (in this case nothing since I
just made it up...).

Johnny Rosenberg