[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Wed Dec 19 18:27:15 UTC 2007

Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at Rauch-Domain.DE> wrote:

Hi,

> into xsane. I know if I would continue the work for xsane in this case
> then I would have to spend 99% of my programming time to answer
> questions about incompatibilities and problems with the new
> "1.1-standard".

Would you care to explain why the addition of new frame types
would create any such problems ? Because that's the only thing that
has been discussed so far - no ABI changes, no new functions in the
API, just new frame types.

Other projects add things to their API all the time and it hasn't
caused chaos yet. Why would that not be possible in SANE ?

There's no reason why expending the API in a careful and controlled
fashion would let to that kind of problems on your end.

> In my opinion it is not fair to create so much problems for SANE1
> because you don`t like to spend some days to create SANE2 backends from
> the SANE1 backends.

For that you'll need to lay out the base of SANE2 first, and at least
port the test backend and scanimage. Then we'll have some data and
examples to start porting other backends and frontends.

As it stands SANE2 is pure theory and until some work has started on
implementing it, there's a potential for running into troubles and
having to modify the current SANE2. And you want that to happen as
early as possible if at all...

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>