[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:48:47 UTC 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 3:18 PM, Étienne Bersac <bersace at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > What we really need, err, what USERS really need, is a range of
> > frontends that match their needs as closely as possible:
> >  - one frontend for the average joe user to handle basic scanning
> >    needs (b/w text, documents, photos)
> >  - one frontend for the advanced user (would be today's XSane)
> >  - one frontend for the über-advanced imaging guru, with advanced
> >    features like IR, etc.
>
> I do fully agree with you. As developer of Gnome Scan, i really don't
> want to support all use-case, but 100% of maman use cases so that she
> never ask me again to do the scan for her again. I'm pretty sure
> gnome-scan will never handle IR or such advanced feature ! However, i'm
> pretty concerned by hotplug and event handling wich is a lame of SANE
> for now.

button handling, if done thru well-known options, and hotplug could be
handled in any version of sane, provided we could find some folks with
the time and urge to work on it. if button handling is done in some
sort of async or call-back mode, that would require changing the API,
so it would get pushed back to a later version (sane 2 maybe?)

allan