[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:56:40 UTC 2007

On 12/21/07, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:48:47 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > button handling, if done thru well-known options, and hotplug could be
> > handled in any version of sane, provided we could find some folks with
> > the time and urge to work on it. if button handling is done in some
> > sort of async or call-back mode, that would require changing the API,
> > so it would get pushed back to a later version (sane 2 maybe?)
>
>  agreed.
>
>  btw, in order to guarantee the maximum capability of sane 1.1
>  toward sane 1.0, I was thinking about a way for a frontend
>  to explicitly enable the 1.1 features/frame types.
>
>  for example, an 1.1 capable frontend might use an api
>  call to enable them, after having checked for sane version > 1.0 .

its a good idea if we use a well-known boolean option to control it.
if we add a function call, then we have to add that function to every
backend, including external ones. i am specifically trying to avoid
that.

we already have an 'advanced' group, so i dont want to call it that,
how about '--extended'?

allan