[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Fri Dec 21 14:33:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:12:56 -0500
"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> well, i wanted to minimize the changes to front-ends, other than
> dropping unknown frame types. also, this sets up a precedent for
> backends needing to have 'modes' where they support historical
> versions of the sane standard. in this case, that is not a problem,
> but in the future, it might be.
>
> are you proposing that we update every backend in sane with this
> function- because they are all going to get their minor version number
> bumped to 1, to match their new sonames...

 i'm just thinking about it, so it is not a proposal at this time.

 i have not yet checked the matter in the sane source but, if we add
 the api call to dll.c and not in the backend, what will happen?

  a) segfault
  b) SANE_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED

 ?

 if b, we would not need to update the backends. if a) then it
 is not the way to go.

 I do not like changing every backend. but if we can change little
 in dll/"real" 1.1 backends that would be fine.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy