[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Fri Dec 21 19:36:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:51:04 +0100
Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:

> > Just adding the new frames & options and leave it at that, like
> > planned ?
>
> > What you're proposing is just perverting the API and an inacceptable
> > change in the behaviour of the current API.
>
>  I would like to avoid exposing the new frame types to unaware
>  frontends.

 replying to myself, that means I'm gone banana :)

 the options are:

 a) add types and options, with little risk
 for older backends.

 b) add and protect via current api mangling

 c) add and protect via new api.

 option c means that some linking combinations will not work,
 like linking an 1.1 aware frontend with a non 1.1 aware backend.
 I guess this shouldn't happen. If it happens, it's fixable
 by adding a few lines of code to the backend. at this point, I never
 heard of any frontend that does directly linking of a backend.

 while I favour option c , I'm not against any of them.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,
  Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy