[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Fri Dec 21 21:21:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:12:03 +0100
Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de> wrote:

> In the moment I would bet on the outside world.
> At least the active part of the inside world does not seem to care ;)
>
> The proposals/discussions I read in the last hours are worse than
> everything that I expected when I predicted the chaos.
> "Only adding some new frame types" and now discussing to add new
> api functions. And letting the sane standard at version 1.x. while
> changing the api.

 don't worry, we are just discussing it. And it seems that no api function
 will be added nor modified.

 we are very concerned toward compatibility and existing frontends. in particular,
 we are trying to do thing in a way that allows xsane to work without
 modifications.

 if it wasn't for those concerns, we would just have bumped sane to 1.1 AND
 added new APIs.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,