[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 21:26:58 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 3:19 PM, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > if i understand your list, there is a 4th option- add and _inform_ by
> > SONAME/version# change.
>
> If we can avoid it, we should really avoid it. Though as you note it's
> the proper course of action if the changes are important enough that
> things could break.

and a second reply to your mail- i too would like to avoid the soname
bump, but we must acknowledge that we are changing both the API and
the ABI, even if only slightly, and creating a potential for
front-ends to crash, where they would not have before. The fact that
scanimage could not handle unknown frame types until i modified it
shows that this is a likely scenario.

as such- i propose that we branch sane 1.1, with added frame types, a
bumped soversion, and perhaps some additional well-defined options. it
seems to be the fastest way to extend sane, while still making the
world aware, and not requiring us to modify lots of stale backends to
the as-yet unfinished sane2 spec.

allan