[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de
Fri Dec 21 21:46:18 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, den 21.12.2007, 22:21 +0100 schrieb Alessandro Zummo:

>  we are very concerned toward compatibility and existing frontends. in particular,
>  we are trying to do thing in a way that allows xsane to work without
>  modifications.
>
>  if it wasn't for those concerns, we would just have bumped sane to 1.1 AND
>  added new APIs.

Hello Alessandro,

the problem I see here is that the discussion is not based on the needed
knowledge.

When you change the API of SANE then you have to call it SANE-2.
This is defined in the SANE-1-standard.

So please, everyone who takes part in this discussion:
read the SANE-1 standard at first and when you want to discuss if
new features should be part of SANE-1 or SANE-2 then it would be
a good idea to also read the SANE-2 proposal.

The major problem seems to be that almost all people that know the
SANE-1 standard and know what hasto be done to change a standard are not
active here any more. Most of the people take part in this discussion
did not prepare good enough for this discussion.

How do you want to make good proposals when you do not know the relvant
things?

Best regards

Oliver