[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Dec 21 22:22:53 UTC 2007

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> 4.1 Version Control
> The SANE standard is expected to evolve over time. Whenever a change
> to the SANE standard is made that may render an existing frontend or
> backend incompatible with the new standard, the major version number
> must be increased. Thus, any frontend/backend pair is compatible
> provided the major version number of the SANE standard they implement
> is the same.
>
> Boy, this is getting hairy, because it requires you to define
> 'incompatible'. i daresay that we would each define it a bit
> differently in this case.

There's no compatibility problem as long as you're extending the API
and not modifying the current API.

Which is exactly what is to be done to add new frame types.

Anything else is potentially a problem, though.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169