[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Dec 21 22:47:18 UTC 2007

Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de> wrote:

Hi,

> The major problem seems to be that almost all people that know the
> SANE-1 standard and know what hasto be done to change a standard are not
> active here any more. Most of the people take part in this discussion
> did not prepare good enough for this discussion.

It's definitely a problem. A big one. But not one that can be fixed,
unfortunately. Otherwise those people would have joined the discussion
already in fear of the newbies breaking everything...

SANE2 has been a dead end for years and during this time the people
behind SANE and SANE2 just disappeared into the ether for whatever
reason. We're not going to bring them back, because it's just not
possible for most of them (we may recover some of them, though,
eventually, like Henning maybe).

I haven't had a look at SANE2 in years. I'll try to take a look at it
as soon as possible. I am definitely interested in going forward with
SANE (as a project) and SANE2.

If SANE doesn't evolve I really don't see how we're going to have
working scanners on non-Windows platforms. I don't see another
team/project stepping up to rewrite something, given the low interest
I see in SANE from other people (interestingly the desktop people seem
to have next to no interest in SANE).

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>