[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Sun Dec 23 13:47:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 23 December 2007 00:05:24 m. allan noah wrote:
[SNIPSNAP]
> SANE2 has not been touched in years, and the folks that are now around
> to actually implement it, are not the ones that wrote it. You can bet
> we will have to re-examine every change in the current draft before
> anyone writes any code. hence, my desire to do something small that we
> can agree on.

IIRC the SANE2 codebase, was simply that, what we'd like to do
these days: creating a branch, nothing more.

To statisfy the SANE1 standard (API change = major version change),
we "simply" have to merge the latest code base to the sane2
branch.

Have a look at the SANE2 standard: There are not that much changes
and a lot of stuff is already around - excluding the network stuff.

I'd suggest to merge the 1.0.19 stuff and use this for further
SANE2 development. Of course we should also address the open issues
regarding the standard, but this could go hand in hand.

My wish for the next year is, that we never have to do this discussion
again and really continue with SANE2. I'll check the SANE2 repository
during the next days and please everybod who is interested check
SANE2 standard for what is really missing and for what could be
postponed.

Oliver, one thing. I'd really appreciate your work, but please also
help us out of this mess.

While other opensource projects have moved on, we stood still.
Of course a lot of the former "leaders" have stopped, but I think
there are still a lot around to help out.

Okay, enough so far.
Wish you guys a merry x-mas and a happy new year. For this project,
I wish us, that we find a solution, that everybody will accept.

Take care
Gerhard