[sane-devel] Unable to scan because of failures . . . failed re-install

Julien Michielsen julien at michkloo.xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 23 19:41:01 UTC 2007

Julien Michielsen schreef:
> Architecture of my machine: Asus A8NE Motherb with Athlon 64 processor.
> Distro SuSE 10.3 for i32 processor
> Scanner: Epson 2580
> xsane 0.994
>
> After starting xsane, and clicking "scan" in the panel my scanner starts
> to work, but after scanning almost the whole page it gives a sequence of
> error messages:
> 1- Error during save: broken pipe
> 		hitting OK, then
> 2- Error during save: resource temporarily unavailable
> 		hitting OK, then
> 3- Error during save: resource temporarily unavailable
> 		hitting OK, then  (this error mesge comes two times)
> 4- Failed to execute command: "lpr"
>
> the command lpr does reside on my machine:
> whereis lpr
> lpr: /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/X11/lpr /usr/share/man/man1/lpr.1.gz
> but when I execute it from a console:
> julien at michkloo:~> lpr
> lpr: Error - no default destination available.
>
> What might be the reason for this failure, and why does it want to
> execute lpr ?

Thought it might help to re-install. So I saved the configuration files
I had adjusted, and re-installed the rpm.
After re-installing I ended up with the same failure. The error-message
before it died:
  lpr: Error - no default destination available.
This is slightly different from above, where it only said "failed to
execute". Maybe this gives a hint to anyone?
--
Julien Michielsen
julien_at_michkloo.xs4all.nl