[sane-devel] Suggestion for new A4 flatbed scanner with DIA/Film scanning capabilities (e.g. Epson V350) with USB 2.0

Mike Reichel elvehero at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 26 23:03:03 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,

after a nightmare of searching the web for the right scanner and asking in IRC
my last hope is this mailing list.

What I'm looking for: A4 flatbed scanner with transparency scanning for films
and negatives (4800 dpi optical) for amateurs with USB 2.0

What have i done: I checked the SANE:supported device list, the mailing list
history for some models, Linux and BSD hardware sites

The result: nearly nothing besides headaches :(

Best hits are:

1. Epson Perfection 4990: Complete support by sane, but with 400 Euro really
to expensive for amateur photos :-( (For this price I could by a second
Wintel PC only for scanning and a cheaper windows scanner)

2. Epson Photo V350 - is supported by a closed source driver. ADF is not
supported, so I can also use the Epson Photo V200. But the same driver, so no
support for 64bit Linux and BSD or Solaris. Same for the Perfection 4490
Photo.

3. Similar scanners from other vendors are:
Canon CanoScan LiDE 600F
HP ScanJet 4850 / 4890
Microtek ScanMaker S450
Mustek Be at rPaw 4800 TA Pro
Plustek OpticPro ST64+

aren't supported at all by sane.

So I hope, I missed the pearl and somebody could help me to buy a scanner here
in germany (or europe). Hey, its christmas ;-)

PS: Sorry, if this is a repost, but I doesn't find my first post.

Und Salve
	Mike