[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 2480 on FreeBSD

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sat Feb 3 03:43:57 CET 2007

Hello all,

I am running FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE (updated today) and scanimage
(sane-backends) 1.0.18; backend version 1.0.18.  I am trying to connect an Epson Perfection
2480 Photo scanner via USB.

The kernel recognizes the scanner and assigns it to /dev/scanner0.
sane-find-scanner fails, and if I run it as root, hangs the system.
The system seems to regenerate /dev on startup; the link I created
to /dev/usbscanner is gone, as are the ownership changes I made to
/dev/scanner0.

Through all of this, sane-find-scanner has consistently failed (or
hung the system).

I'm stuck.  1) How do I fix this?  2) How, if FreeBSD is going to
regenerate /dev, do I keep it fixed?

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).